- The announcement will encompass TV as well as theatrical releases, according to Deadline. Disney hopes to show a commitment to theaters and not abandoning exhibitors for the sake of streaming.
What will be announced?
It’s unclear what we’re expecting to hear from the “Star Wars” side of things. Recent rumors suggest an animated series based on “The High Republic” — which takes place 200 years before the prequel trilogy — could be in the works. We’ve also heard about spinoff animated programs based around Bo-Katan, Cara Dune and Boba Fett. There’s also been hints of a “Star Wars Rebels” sequel series.
There are a couple of “Star Wars” projects in the works already, which we’ll probably receive a few updates about, including:
- “Star Wars: Kenobi,” which will soon begin filming in Boston.
- A series based around the “Rogue One” character Cassian Andor.
- An untitled “Star Wars” film from Taika Waititi that was announced back in May.
- Leslye Headland was tapped to write, executive produce and serve as showrunner for a new “Star Wars” TV series on Disney Plus that will take place “in a pocket of the universe and a pocket of the timeline that we don’t know much about,” Headland said, according to IndieWire.