Scarlett Johansson will produce a new ‘top-secret’ Marvel project, and it’s not about ‘Black Widow’
Scarlett Johansson will return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe with a new movie
Johansson was honored Thursday with the American Cinematheque Award, becoming the 35th person to receive the honor.
At the event, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige praised Johansson’s talent, vision and intelligence, saying the actress is working on a “top-secret Marvel Studios project” that has nothing to do with “Black Widow.”
- Johansson will serve as a producer on the project, Feige said.
- “Scarlett has lent her talent and star power to the Marvel Cinematic Universe for over a decade. That she’s chosen to play a key part in it for so many years, I am extremely grateful for,” Feige said, per Deadline. “Working with (her) has truly been one of the most memorable and rewarding collaborations of my career.”
Johansson’s new project announcement comes not long after she and Disney settled the actress’ lawsuit against the company over salary and payment for the recent “Black Widow” movie, according to The Washington Post.
- Johansson claimed her contract with Marvel Studios and Disney was breached because “Black Widow” was released on Disney+ for streaming and released in movie theaters at the same time, which was not the original deal, as the Deseret News reported.
So what is Johansson’s secret project? It’s unclear at the moment. Murphy’s Multiverse, a pop culture news and rumor site, suggested it could be about a character seen in “Black Widow,” like Red Guardian, Melina Vostokoff or Taskmaster.
- The project could also be about the Thunderbolts group of superheroes, which included Yelena Belova, who also was featured in “Black Widow.” But again, these are all tied to “Black Widow,” so it seems unlikely to be the case.
- If it’s not connected at all to “Black Widow,” then your guess is as good as anyone else’s.
Correction: This article previously said Scarlett Johansson would direct the new project. She is reportedly producing the new project.