Here’s what Katy Perry, Jay Leno and other celebrities are saying about Ellen DeGeneres while her show is under investigation
‘The Ellen DeGeneres Show’ is under investigation by WarnerMedia after employee allegations of a toxic work environment
As “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” faces an investigation after employee allegations of a toxic work environment, several celebrities — including Katy Perry, Ashton Kutcher and Jay Leno — have spoken out in support of the daytime talk show host, according to People magazine.
What’s going on
- WarnerMedia is investigating “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” after a report from BuzzFeed News in July.
- Former and current employees of the show told BuzzFeed they had experienced racism and intimidation while working there.
- The investigation found “some deficiencies related to the show’s day-to-day management,” and DeGeneres sent a letter of apology to her staff, the Deseret News reported.
- Celebrities who have been guests on the “Ellen” show have started speaking up in support of DeGeneres, claiming to have always been treated well by the host, according to BBC News.
Who’s supporting DeGeneres?
- Pop star and “American Idol” judge Katy Perry tweeted: “I have only ever had positive takeaways from my time with Ellen & on the @theellenshow. I think we all have witnessed the light & continual fight for equality that she has brought to the world through her platform for decades.”
I haven’t spoken with @TheEllenShow and can only speak from my own experience. She & her team have only treated me & my team w/ respect & kindness. She never pandered to celebrity which I always saw as a refreshing honesty. When things aren’t right she handles it and fixes.— ashton kutcher (@aplusk) August 5, 2020
- Actor Ashton Kutcher tweeted: “She & her team have only treated me & my team w/ respect & kindness. She never pandered to celebrity which I always saw as a refreshing honesty.”
- Former late night host Jay Leno tweeted: “I don’t discard a 40-year friendship on hearsay. The Ellen I know has raised over $125 million dollars for charity and has always been a kind and decent person. I fully support her.”
- Actor Alec Baldwin and his wife Hilaria Baldwin tweeted: “@TheEllenShow has always been kind to me. So...there’s that.”
- Actress Diane Keaton wrote on Instagram: “I ALWAYS ENJOYED MY VISITS TO THE ELLEN SHOW. I’VE SEEN HOW THE AUDIENCE EXUDES HAPPINESS AND GRATITUDE. SHE GIVES BACK TO SO MANY INCLUDING ME.”
- Portia de Rossi, DeGeneres’ wife, shared an image on Instagram that reads “I Stand By Ellen.”
If you think Ellen would knowingly allow bullying or racism on her show, you don’t know my sister. She has been and continues to be a bright light in a dark world. She’s one of the kindest, most generous people you’ll ever meet. And one of the funniest.— Vance DeGeneres (@vancedegeneres) August 4, 2020
- Vance DeGeneres, DeGeneres’ brother, tweeted: “If you think Ellen would knowingly allow bullying or racism on her show, you don’t know my sister. She has been and continues to be a bright light in a dark world.”
Who’s speaking out against DeGeneres?
- There have also been some celebrities who have confirmed the employee allegations, according to Insider.
- Actor Brad Garrett tweeted: “Sorry but it comes from the top @TheEllenShow. Know more than one who were treated horribly by her. Common knowledge.”
- Actress Lea Thompson responded to a report of Garrett calling the employee mistreatment “common knowledge” by tweeting: “True story. It is.”