Facebook Twitter

Country singer Morgan Wallen has apologized after recent controversy

Country singer Morgan Wallen recently apologized for a video where he made racial slurs

SHARE Country singer Morgan Wallen has apologized after recent controversy
Morgan Wallen arrives at the CMT Music Awards in Nashville, Tenn. on June 5, 2019. Wallen has apologized after a video surfaced showed him shouting a racial slur.

Morgan Wallen arrives at the CMT Music Awards in Nashville, Tenn. on June 5, 2019. Wallen has apologized after a video surfaced showed him shouting a racial slur.

Sanford Myers, Associated Press

Country singer Morgan Wallen recently issued an apology after a recent controversy where he was caught on camera saying racial slurs.

What happened?

TMZ originally posted a video that showed Wallen coming home from a night out in Nashville, The New York Times reports. He shouted at someone in the video, using a racial slur.

  • In response, Spotify, Apple and the largest radio station companies in the U.S. removed his music from the radio. Similarly, the 2021 American Country Music Awards banned Wallen from qualifying for the awards, as I wrote for the Deseret News.

Wallen issued a statement at the time that responded to the accusations, per The New York Times.

  • “I’m embarrassed and sorry. I used an unacceptable and inappropriate racial slur that I wish I could take back. There are no excuses to use this type of language, ever. I want to sincerely apologize for using the word. I promise to do better.”

What does his new apology say?

Wallen’s new apology was aimed directly at fans. He said he has met with Black leaders as well before he released the statement, per Variety.

  • “I’ve decided to go off the grid for a little while and get used to making good decisions,” he said in the statement. “Who knows if I’ll be able to live down all the mistakes I’ve made, but I’m certainly going to try. I’m going to spend some time taking back control of … living healthy and being proud of my actions.”
  • “Lastly, I have one favor to ask,” he told fans in the video. “I appreciate those who still see something in me and have defended me. But for today, please don’t. I was wrong. It’s on me to take ownership of this and I fully accept any penalties I’m facing. The timing of my return is solely upon me and the work I put in. I still have a lot of really good people in my corner trying to help me and I appreciate you more than you know. This entire situation is ugly right now, but I’ll keep searching for ways to become the example instead of being made one.”

Anything else?

In response to the video, fans of Wallen bought up his latest album “Dangerous: The Double Album,” according to The Associated Press. Grammy-winning singer songwriter Jason Isbell said Wednesday that he will make some money from those sales since he wrote the original version of the song “Cover Me Up,” which appears on the album. Isbell said he would donate his earnings to the NAACP.

  • “I’ve decided to donate everything I’ve made so far from this album to the Nashville chapter of the @NAACP. Thanks for helping out a good cause, folks,” Isbell wrote on Twitter.