The Department of Justice on Thursday indicted 15 operators of autism centers, child care programs and housing assistance companies for over $90 million in fraudulent reimbursement schemes.

These charges, known as the Minnesota Health Care Fraud Takedown, included the two largest Medicaid fraud cases ever charged in the district.

President Donald Trump called Minnesota “a hub of fraudulent money laundering activity” last year, after news reports of fraud surfaced and after eight defendants were charged with wire fraud.

State and federal agents remove boxes of evidence collected from Metro Learning Center on Tuesday, April 28, 2026, in Minneapolis, Minn. | Mark Vancleave, Associated Press

Woman guilty of COVID-19 fraud sentenced

Also on Thursday, the woman guilty of the “single largest COVID-19 fraud scheme in the country,” as stated in a court filing, was sentenced in federal court.

Aimee Marie Bock, 45, said, “I understand that I failed,” according to news accounts. “I failed my public, my family, everyone.”

Bock was the founder and executive director of Feeding our Future, a Minnesota-based nonprofit that claimed to provide million of free meals to needy children during the pandemic.

Aimee Bock, founder and executive director of the nonprofit organization Feeding Our Future, arrives at the Minneapolis federal courthouse with her attorney, Ken Udoibok, right, on March 19, 2025, in Minneapolis. | Kerem Yücel, Minnesota Public Radio via the Associated Press

In reality, the nonprofit used government funds to purchase luxury vehicles, real estate and travel experiences, according to The Associated Press.

Related
Fraud charges, allegations continue to surface across the country

On Thursday, Bock was sentenced to 42 years in prison and ordered to pay $243 million in restitution.

“The brazen and staggering nature of her crimes has shaken Minnesota to its core, leaving lasting damage and eroding public trust,” the filing said. “Her actions have permanently altered the state, and not for the better.”

“The ripple effects of her actions are profound, immeasurable, and will have lasting consequences for both Minnesota and the nation.”

Related
Vance leading ‘war on fraud’ by halting Medicaid payments in Minnesota

Vance leads fraud task force

Bock is one of thousands facing consequences for fraudulent use of government funds, Vice President JD Vance posted on social media.

“Our message is simple: if you’re committing fraud, we will find you, and we won’t rest until justice is served,” Vance said on X.

Vance announced a pause in Medicaid payments to Minnesota months ago due to investigations surrounding the use of federal funds.

Fraud regulation is government-wide

The war against fraud is a growing collaboration between multiple arms of the government.

The House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform has advanced several bills targeting fraud in federal programs by strengthening oversight control on distributing funds and monitoring their use.

The White House established the Task Force to Eliminate Fraud in March to advise the president on “government-wide efforts to combat widespread fraud, waste, and abuse in Federal benefit programs,” according to a press release.

Related
The Minnesota fraud fight hits Capitol Hill

The DOJ announced the creation of the National Fraud Enforcement Division in April, with a mission to investigate and prosecute those who participate in fraudulently using government funds.

Several states have seen changes in their funding based on the activity of these organizations.

Vance recently deferred $1.3 billion in Medicaid reimbursements from California, saying, “the state of California has not taken fraud very seriously.”

Related
Why some people claim California’s new program for low-income families is hiding fraud
View Comments

Vance said that if other states fail to “aggressively prosecute Medicaid fraud,” they will face funding cuts.

Vice President JD Vance speaks to reporters during a press briefing at the White House, Tuesday, May 19, 2026, in Washington. | Manuel Balce Ceneta, Associated Press

More than $1 billion has already been spent on this effort, and it’s likely that the nation has not seen the end of fraud-related prosecutions.

Just this month, DOJ announced enforcement actions in Boston, Florida and Tennessee as part of the nationwide war on fraud.

“The DOJ Fraud Division, along with the White House’e Task Force to Eliminate Fraud, will dismantle illegal schemes from coast-to-coast, just as they did today in Minnesota,” said Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche in a press release. “This is just the tip of the iceberg.”

Join the Conversation
Looking for comments?
Find comments in their new home! Click the buttons at the top or within the article to view them — or use the button below for quick access.