Aminata Diallo, a PSG women’s midfielder who previously played for the Utah Royals, has been arrested for allegedly hiring masked men to injure her France national team and PSG teammate Kheira Hamraoui to stop her competing for playing time, per L’Equipe.
- Diallo was taken into custody days after she replaced Hamraoui on the pitch for a Champions League game against Real Madrid.
- PSG said in a statement: “Paris Saint-Germain condemns in the strongest possible terms the violence committed. Since the evening of Thursday, Nov. 4, the club has taken all the necessary measures to guarantee the health, well-being and safety of its players.”
What happened to Kheira Hamraoui?
Last Thursday, Hamraoui had accepted a ride home from Diallo after the team dinner. Two men stopped the car and pulled the two women out of the vehicle.
- Diallo was held by one of the attackers while Hamraoui was assaulted by the men.
- Hamraoui “is recovering from injuries to both her legs and her hands sustained in the attack, which took place after a team dinner,” according to The New York Times. She was allegedly taken from her car and struck in the legs with metal bars.
What’s next for Aminata Diallo?
Paris Saint-Germain, a popular soccer club from France, said Wednesday that there’s an open investigation into the incident.
- “Paris St.-Germain is working with the Versailles police to clarify the facts,” PSG said in a statement. “The club is paying close attention to the progress of the proceedings and will study what action to take.”
Who is Aminata Diallo?
Diallo played for the Utah Royals on loan for the 2020 NWSL season. She later played for Atlético de Madrid Femenino on loan in January 2021.