Former British chief scientific adviser Mark Walport said in a recent interview that people may need continuous vaccinations to stay safe from the novel coronavirus.
- Walport — a former scientific adviser to the British government — said COVID-19 will likely be around forever, and that people will need many vaccinations to keep it from spreading.
- Walport told BBC News: “This is a virus that is going to be with us forever in some form or another, and almost certainly will require repeated vaccinations. So, a bit like flu, people will need revaccination at regular intervals.”
- Walport said COVID-19 is not like smallpox, which can be erased with one vaccine. He said people will need vaccinations “at regular intervals.”
Dr. Fauci said something similar
Fauci said in an interview with TB Alliance that the virus will never fully disappear.
- “I think with a combination of good public health measures, a degree of global herd immunity and a good vaccine, which I do hope and feel cautiously optimistic that we will get, I think when we put all three of those together, we will get control of this, whether it’s this year or next year. I’m not certain.
- “I don’t really see us eradicating it.”