NBC News has a new map that can help you keep track of where to find the novel coronavirus variants in the United States.
- The map — which you can view on NBC News’ website here — tracks the U.K. variant, the South Africa variant and the Brazilian variant of the coronavirus.
- The map so far shows Utah only has the U.K. variant of the virus.
- South Carolina is the only state noted to have the South African variant.
- Minnesota is the only state with the U.K. and Brazilian variants.
- 26 states have only the U.K. variant.
South Africa variant: South Carolina’s Department of Health and Environmental Control said Thursday that the novel coronavirus variant that originated in South Africa has found its way to the United States, as I wrote about for the Deseret News.
Brazil variant: the new COVID-19 variant that originated in Brazil was found in Minnesota earlier this week, as I wrote about for the Deseret News. According to NPR, the Brazilian variant, called the P.1 variant, has been moving through Manaus, Brazil, since December 2020.
UK variant: The U.K. variant was discovered in Utah. A man from Salt Lake County tested positive for COVID-19 last month for the variant, having only experienced mild symptoms, as the Deseret News reported.
White House Senior Adviser for Covid Response Andy Slavitt told CNN that the United States can defeat the variants — like the one from South Africa, which was recently discovered in the United States — with the right tools.
- “Nothing about this news says we can’t defeat this thing,” he told CNN. “It just means we need more tools, and we need to be more united in doing it.”