Lockdown lifted on Texas military base after reports of an active shooter, no injuries reported
A U.S. Air Force officer said Joint Base San Antonio officials are investigating the incident and that there are ‘solid reports that two shots were fired into the installation’
A joint U.S. military base in Texas was locked down for about two hours Wednesday after military officials said there had been reports of an active shooter incident.
At a press conference after the lockdown at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland was lifted, U.S Air Force Lt. Col Brian S. Loveless told reporters Wednesday afternoon that base officials “are trying to investigate some leads to determine whether gunshots actually did occur,” and, contrary to earlier news reports, “said that it’s not confirmed that there were two gunmen,” according to Bryan, Texas’ KAGS news station.
- “I’m happy to report, that no matter what happened, no injuries have been reported,” Loveless said.
- “We do have some solid reports that two shots were fired into the installations,” the Air Force officer added.
At about 1 p.m. local time, Joint Base San Antonio issued an active shooter warning on its official Twitter page. “All base personnel implement LOCKDOWN procedures immediately and take cover. Real World LOCKDOWN, LOCKDOWN, LOCKDOWN.”
About a half-hour later, the installation Tweeted that “there is no suspected injuries at this time” and JBSA first responders were “working with San Antonio Police Department to clear the area and search for the shooters.”
- Early in the incidents, the base’s public affairs office told San Antonio News 4 that “two suspects fired shots toward the base from outside the gates” and “JBSA trainees were in the area and the shooters ran off.”
- The base is home to the U.S. Air Force’s Basic Military Training program. The large base “is home to over 200 mission partners” — with units from every branch of the military — and includes two other joint bases at JBSA-Fort Sam Houston and JBSA-Randolph.