clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

6th man charged in bomb incident
Warrant issued for S.L. man's arrest

An arrest warrant has been issued for a sixth man charged in a 1998 fire bombing incident involving a former East High School football star.

Sione Havili, 20, led the Leopards to two state championship appearances and attended Brigham Young University before serving an abbreviated LDS mission in New York. Havili's missionary work was cut short when he was called home to face charges of aggravated arson, a first-degree felony.Havili, Patrick George Hautau, 21, and Samuel Amato Kutu were all charged after Siale Vianuku and Viliami Wolfgramm, both 20, told investigators about the trio's involvement in the retaliatory fire-bombing of a Salt Lake home. Vianuku and Wolfgramm were both charged soon after the Oct. 18, 1998, incident, and Wolfgramm has since pleaded guilty to a reduced charge.

Wednesday prosecutors charged Maile F. Kinikini, 26, of Salt Lake City, who they believe also participated in the fire-bombing. Kinikini remains at large, but a $500,000 warrant has been issued for his arrest because he has allegedly threatened to kill Vianuku and Wolfgramm for telling police about him. The man told a friend he "would not go to prison for burning a house down, but for killing someone," charges filed in 3rd District Court state.

The group of six allegedly fired guns and threw burning milk jugs full of gasoline into a home at 1634 S. 1000 West because they believed the occupants had previously committed a drive-by shooting at Wolfgramm's home, court documents state.

Kinikini was charged with aggravated arson, a first-degree felony, and tampering with evidence, a second-degree felony, for allegedly causing the fire that gutted the Salt Lake home.