A look at the progression in LDS general conference broadcasts not only mirrors the church's growth but also shows the ever-changing technologies used:

Oct. 3, 1924: First-ever radio broadcast of general conference begins on KSL radio.

Oct. 1948: The first closed-circuit TV broadcast of general conference in the Tabernacle is sent to other buildings on Temple Square.

June 1, 1949: KSL-TV, Ch. 5, signs on the air as Utah's first commercial television station.

Oct. 1949: KSL-TV begins the first public television broadcast of general conference.

April 5, 1952: The LDS Church begins broadcasting general priesthood meeting by direct telephone wire to church buildings beyond Temple Square.

Oct. 1953: General conference is broadcast by TV for the first time outside the Intermountain area.

1957: The first use of videotape to record and rebroadcast conference.

Oct. 10, 1962: The LDS Church purchases a shortwave station on the East Coast to broadcast church meetings to Europe and South America.

1967: Seven radio and TV stations in Mexico begin carrying general conference.

Sept. 16, 1978: Women, age 12 and over, hear the first-ever closed-circuit audio broadcasts, similar to what priesthood meetings had been airing.

April 6, 1980: Celebrating the church's 150th anniversary, President Spencer W. Kimball conducts part of general conference from the newly restored Whitmer Farmhouse in Fayette, N.Y. This marks the first-time the church uses a satellite for conference broadcasts.

Oct. 3, 1981: A network of 500 satellite dishes for stake centers outside Utah is announced to carry conferences to members in the United States and Canada.

1990: More than 2,500 church satellite dishes just in North America receive general conference.

October 1999: The LDS Church's Web site www.lds.org offers listeners an audio version of general conference over the Internet.

October 2001: More than 3,000 church satellite dishes, around the world, pick up general conference.