PHILADELPHIA — It certainly was an improvement from the previous week for the Utah Blaze, but it still wasn't quite enough.

Saturday night's Arena Football League game, like the previous five games this season for the Blaze, ended with a loss.

The Philadelphia Soul downed the Blaze at the Wachovia Spectrum 64-56 to improve to an AFL-best 6-0 on the season.

Utah, meanwhile, fell to a league-worst 0-6.

But it wasn't the mismatch that one might have expected considering the differences in their records entering the game. In fact, if it weren't for a stretch midway through the first half where the Soul scored 23 consecutive points, the Blaze might have just pulled off the upset.

The Blaze, coming off a 21-point home loss to the Georgia Force last week, was hardly embarrassed this time. They gave the AFL's best team as close a game as they have had this season.

"Compared to last week, this was a night-and-day difference in terms of energy," said Blaze coach Danny White. "I am very pleased with the effort put forth tonight. If we keep playing like this, we will win games this year."

Utah pulled to within one point in the second half before a costly turnover returned the momentum to Philadelphia.

The Soul led just 36-35 in the third quarter after Utah scored a touchdown on a Joe Germaine to Huey Whittaker connection. Philadelphia responded with a Matt D'Orazio TD pass of its own to take a 43-35 advantage.

But Utah's J'Sharlon Jones fumbled the football on the ensuing kickoff. The ball was recovered by the Soul's Mike Brown, who returned it for a touchdown. The extra point gave the Soul a 50-35 lead with 6:48 remaining in the third quarter.

Utah could get no closer than eight points down the remainder of the game.

D'Orazio had another impressive game for the Soul, completing 28 of 37 passes for 300 yards and six touchdowns with no interceptions. His favorite receiver was once again Chris Jackson, who had 13 catches for 138 yards and five scores.

Utah's defense held the Soul just one time on the night. Vaka Manupuna sacked D'Orazio and forced a fumble that was recovered by Dwayne Missouri in the first quarter. Philadelphia scored every other time its offense touched the ball until running out the clock to finish the game.

Germaine had another fine game in the losing cause for the Blaze. He completed 21 of 28 passes for 250 yards and five scores without an interception. Germaine even scored another TD on a one-yard keeper. Whittaker caught six passes for 67 yards with three scores, while J.J. McKelvey and Aaron Boone each nabbed one TD pass for the Blaze.

While Utah's offense was mostly effective, the Soul's defense made two huge plays. They sacked Germaine in the end zone for a safety to give them a 16-14 lead late in the first quarter and then forced and recovered a fumble by Blaze fullback Rodney Filer in the second quarter. Add to that the fumble recovery for a touchdown in the third quarter and Philly had all the stops it would need.

Utah will again go after its first win next week when the Blaze face their division rival Los Angeles Avengers at the Staples Center Saturday night. Utah's next home game will be April 18 when they host the defending ArenaBowl champion San Jose SaberCats.