Corner Canyon’s dominance of Utah high school football came to an abrupt end Thursday night.

The big question now — will it be temporary?

Celebrating senior night on their home field, the Chargers and their celebrated quarterback, Devin Brown, ran into an inspired Lone Peak team, which dominated both sides of the ball in the second half and rolled to a 41-16 Region 4 victory.

The loss was the first in four years for Corner Canyon, and ended a 48-game winning streak that tied the state record previously set by 1A’s Duchesne. The loss dropped the Chargers to 8-1 overall and 3-1 in Region 4 as it’s now tied with Lone Peak and Skyridge for first place.

The outcome is bound to boost the Knights, especially quarterback Easton Comer, who had one of his best outings after suffering through one of the worst nights of his career last week in a loss to Skyridge. Comer showed an ability to throw the deep ball, which then opened the running game, and the Knights took command in the second half and were never threatened.

“We knew we had to score points (to win),” said Comer, joining his teammates in a post-game celebration on Corner Canyon’s field. “Once it’s done, it’s all about confidence.”

The Knights actually got it just before halftime. Leading 13-10, they punted the ball to Corner Canyon just before halftime. With the home crowd just waiting for another quick touchdown just ahead, Takeao Hansen stepped in front of a Brown pass to help Lone Peak keep the lead.

The Chargers never had another chance. 

“We had our line going. We weren’t one dimensional. Once we got the run, it left things open over the top, and that was our plan.” — Lone Peak coach Bart Brockbank

Lone Peak took the second-half kickoff and a combination of Comer’s passing and Jaxson Willit’s runs led to a short touchdown throw from Comer to Luke Hyde for a 20-10 lead

Brown then connected on two long throws, but the second was wiped out by an illegal-block penalty that led to three straight incompletions. A nice punt gave Lone Peak the ball on its own 9-yard line and a series of runs and short throws led to another touchdown — this time by Willits, who had 100 yards in the second half alone.

“We had our line going. We weren’t one dimensional,” said Lone Peak coach Bart Brockbank. “Once we got the run, it left things open over the top, and that was our plan.”

Lone Peak scored on each of its five second-half possessions. The first drive was the shortest - five plays - and the others lasted nine, 15 and 12 plays.

Brown, who passed for 305 yards, had few chances to lead a comeback. He completed 9 of 13 passes after halftime, but the Chargers only held the ball for 16 plays and only their third — and final — possession resulted in a score. By that time, Lone Peak had a 34-16 lead, and they took advantage of a short field (after recovering an onside kick) to add a final tally that also kept the ball out of Corner Canyon’s hands.