Beyonce performed two heart-wrenching songs for the Kobe Bryant memorial service — “XO” and “Halo,” the former being one of Kobe Bryant’s favorite songs, she said. But Beyonce did not allow photos of her to be taken during the service, and now we know why.
What’s going on?
- Previous reports suggested that Beyonce banned photographers from taking photos of her during the memorial service, according to Popculture.com.
- Why? Well, according to a new report from HollywoodLife, Beyonce didn’t want attention taken away from the Bryant family.
- An unnamed source told HollywoodLife: “Beyonce asked that no pictures of her were taken at Kobe’s memorial. She didn’t want to take the attention away from Vanessa (Bryant) and the family. She only performed because she loved Kobe and wanted to do something special for Vanessa.”
Why Beyonce’s performance mattered
- The Ringer’s Micah Peters wrote Beyonce’s performance showed the grief of the entire city of Los Angeles with her performance.
- Peters wrote: “It shook something loose, and I cried like I hadn’t yet — I cried because a helicopter crashed with nine people inside of it, and that’s sad. I cried because the chorus, sung as it is, begins low and reassuring, swelling into a big cushiony hug, and that’s beautiful.”