What’s going on:
- YouTube creator Jimmy “MrBeast” Donaldsoended a massive competition that called on people to keep one finger on their phone screen for as long as possible.
- The competition used a one-time use game called“Finger on the App.”
- The game originally called for one winner with a $25,000 prize.
- Four people held their fingers on the app for 70 hours. Each of the walked away with $20,000, according to The Verge.
- The game started at 1 p.m. MT on June 30. It ended at 11:15 a.m. MT on July 3.
- MrBeast said: “Dear the four remaining contestants with your finger still on the app, I’m ending it here. Three days is insane! You ALL win and will ALL receive $20,0000! CONGRATULATIONS!”
Dear the four remaining contestants with your finger still on the app, I’m ending it here. Three days is insane! You ALL win and will ALL receive $20,0000! CONGRATULATIONS!— MrBeast (@MrBeast) July 3, 2020
Some additional context:
- Jimmy “MrBeast” Donaldson is known for hosting elaborate stunts and major giveaways, according to Mashable. He partnered with the internet art collective MSCHF for this giveaway.
- Donaldson also gave away thousands of dollars to people who took their fingers off the app, too. In fact, two players scored $5,000 for quitting the game early. Two more won $10,000 the next day.