The attorney of Gabby Petito’s boyfriend reacted after the cause of death for the young woman was released.
- Petito, 22, likely died three to four weeks before Sept. 19, when officials found her body. He said her body had been in the wilderness during that time.
- When asked if Petito’s boyfriend, Brian Laundrie, killed her, Blue said law enforcement should determine who committed the homicide.
- “Gabby Petito’s death at such a young age is a tragedy. While Brian Laundrie is currently charged with the unauthorized use of a debit card belonging to Gabby, Brian is only considered a person of interest in relation to Gabby Petito’s demise. At this time Brian is still missing and when he is located we will address the pending fraud charge against him.”
Petito and Laundrie had spent the summer together on a cross-country road trip. But only Laundrie returned home on Sept. 1 to their home in North Port, Florida. Ten days later, Petito’s family reported Gabby Petito missing.
- It was on Sunday, Sept. 19, that authorities found human remains matching Petito’s description. Days later, Blue confirmed that Petito had died by homicide in Wyoming.
Michael Schneider, an FBI Denver special agent, said in a statement at the time that he hoped to bring whoever committed the homicide to justice.
- “The FBI’s commitment to justice is at the forefront of each and every investigation,” he said. “The FBI and our partners remain dedicated to ensuring anyone responsible for or complicit in Ms. Petito’s death is held accountable for their actions.”