KEY POINTS
  • Diplomatic talks between the U.S. and Iran have stalled, with Donald Trump saying no negotiations are currently scheduled and the U.S. naval blockade remains in place.
  • Iran and Iran-backed groups continue attacking commercial and military vessels around the Strait of Hormuz and the Gulf.
  • Shipping through the strait has plunged from about 130 vessels a day before the war to roughly 12, while 17 sailors have been killed in 65 attacks since Feb. 28.

Diplomatic talks with Iran appear to have again stumbled to a halt on Tuesday, with President Donald Trump posting a map of the Strait of Hormuz on Truth Social, labeled “New U.S. Territory.”

The graphic came several hours after Iranian leadership said they would continue to thwart international shipping through the waterway until the U.S. gave up several key concessions. Those concessions include the U.S. removing oil sanctions, ending all military operations, ending the blockade and releasing Iranian frozen assets.

Two hours after Trump posted the “New U.S. Territory” map, he followed up in a separate post, writing, “There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated.”

Related
Trump issues strong warning to Oman about helping Iran

Attacks continue from Iran-backed groups

After initial U.S.-Israeli strikes on Iran, the country retaliated by launching missile and drone attacks on its neighbors around the gulf. The strategy has continued with Iran’s attempts to keep control over the Strait of Hormuz; both directly and through state-sponsored terror groups, Iran has targeted its neighbors’ commercial ships.

In the past week and a half, Iran launched three separate attacks against Emirati commercial tankers. The Iran-backed Houthis have similarly targeted Saudi Arabian ships. On Monday, the Houthis claimed an attack on a Saudi military ship and four escort vessels.

Both the UAE and Saudi Arabia have condemned the attacks.

Anwar Gargash, an Emirati diplomatic adviser, wrote on Saturday that the attacks change nothing about the legal use of the Strait of Hormuz, which is an international waterway.

28
Comments

“Repeated targeting of ADNOC company tankers will not deter the United Arab Emirates from moving forward with a balanced and rational policy, based on the triad of deterrence, diplomacy, and adherence to international law,” Gargash said. “We will safeguard our rights to freedom of navigation and the use of the Strait of Hormuz in accordance with international law, and we will defend our sovereignty and interests, while continuing the path of dialogue and prioritizing diplomatic options.”

Before the war began, about 130 ships traveled through the strait a day, transiting about 21 to 22 million barrels of crude oil and oil products. Over the last week, the average was about 12 vessels per day, though it may be higher due to ships turning off their navigation devices.

Between 65 attacks in and around the strait, 17 sailors have been killed since Feb. 28.

In the same time frame, 18 U.S. service members have been killed.

Related
Report: Utah among 12 states whose water infrastructure was targeted by Iran
Join the Conversation
Looking for comments?
Find comments in their new home! Click the buttons at the top or within the article to view them — or use the button below for quick access.