A fire in a Central City fourplex Christmas Day caused at least $10,000 in damage, fire officials say.

The blaze started in the bottom east apartment of the fourplex, 415 E. Herbert Ave. (1050 South), said Bruce McGill, Salt Lake City fire battalion chief.When fire crews arrived about 3:15 p.m. Saturday, occupants of the other three apartments had evacuated. McGill said he doesn't believe anyone was home in the first apartment.

The fire started in the living room, which was destroyed, McGill said. The rest of the apartment sustained substantial smoke damage.

View Comments

Firefighters extinguished the blaze within five minutes and remained on the scene for a half-hour, providing ventilation.

Join the Conversation
Looking for comments?
Find comments in their new home! Click the buttons at the top or within the article to view them — or use the button below for quick access.