Two juveniles en route to court ran from a Salt Lake County bailiff Tuesday after unlocking their shackles with a stolen key.

Gustavo Garcia and Matthew Pollack, both 17, were being transported to 3rd District Juvenile Court, 3522 S. 700 West, from the MOWEDA secure juvenile facility in Davis County when they got away.Both boys were in custody within four hours of fleeing. It remained unknown Wednesday how they got the key, Salt Lake County sheriff's spokesman Jim Potter said.

The teens were to appear in court Tuesday morning in connection with prosecutors' efforts to certify them as adults. Garcia was arrested Monday in connection with a shooting. Pollack had an outstanding youth corrections warrant and faces burglary-related charges.

While riding in a van to court, the teens apparently used a stolen key to unlock their shackles. Once the van stopped, they jumped out, eluding guards and a bailiff, and ran to a neighboring junkyard.

Pollack, who lives in Salt Lake City, was found 45 minutes later hiding in the junkyard near 500 West and 3300 South. Police found Garcia after Utah Transit Authority worker saw him lying in the back of a work truck parked near 700 West and 3600 South. Garcia fled when police approached and detectives later found him hiding in a nearby store about 3:30 p.m.

The sheriff's office enlisted its new helicopter in the search for the teens, as well as dogs, SWAT and assistance from outside agencies. The Tuesday effort became a test showcasing the helicopter and how it's used to aid in a foot pursuit or search, Potter said.

"This is one example of its effectiveness," he said. "It kept (Garcia) stationary. In three hours, he could habe been to the border."

Garcia, a Mexican national, was arrested Monday by Clearfield police in connection with a early-morning shooting on I-15. A 19-year-old Salt Lake man, Omar Sanchez, was shot once in the hip following an argument with Garcia and another man, all passengers in a southbound car, according to Potter and Clearfield police.

The driver pulled the car over and Sanchez and Garcia reportedly exited to continue their argument concerning drugs and money, according to police.

Garcia allegedly fired three times at Sanchez, striking him once. He then got back into the car and left the scene.

Sanchez made it to a pay phone and called 911. He was transported to McKay-Dee Hospital in fair condition. The vehicle was later spotted in Bountiful and Garcia and the driver apprehended.