This Megaplex Theatre location in Utah grossed more money than any other multiplex this weekend, report says
The earnings came amid the coronavirus pandemic
A new report suggests that Megaplex Theatres at the District in South Jordan was the highest-grossing theater across the country for the last weekend.
The numbers come as theaters remain closed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Megaplex Theatres reportedly had the highest grossing numbers of any “hard top multiplexes” open right now in the United States, according to Deadline,
- The theater reportedly grossed about $14,600.
- Palladium 19 in San Antonio, Texas, grossed $11,200, earning second place for the weekend.
- That said, Cinemark — a major national movie theater chain — only opened three venues across the country. Its locations in Texas earned $855 (Dallas), $1,500 (West Plano) and $1,000 (North McKinney).
- Deadline said: “Again, this past weekend was expected to be a test-drive for Cinemark in its COVID-19 safety ops before wider reopenings on July 3, 10, and 17, and the circuit is largely playing titles from earlier this year.”
Megaplex Theatres reopened amid COVID-19
Megaplex announced it would reopen beginning on June 18, which I wrote about for the Deseret News. The theater announced it would show a number of older films when it reopened with limited capacity. Those films included:
- “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings” series.
- “Just Mercy.”
- “Bohemian Rhapsody.”
- “The Greatest Showman.”
Blake Andersen, president of Larry H. Miller Megaplex Theatres said: “Our team is ready. Our buildings are ready. Our technology is ready, and we are thrilled to be welcoming guests back to Megaplex Theatres to enjoy great movies on the biggest screens in Utah.”