What’s the news:
- The new “Looney Tunes Cartoons” series launched in May on the HBO Max streaming service, the new streaming platform that includes new and old content from Warner Bros.
- Peter Browngardt, the executive producer of the show, told The New York Times that Fudd won’t have his gun in the new version of the show.
- “We’re not doing guns. But, we can do cartoony violence — TNT, the Acme stuff. All that was kind of grandfathered in.”
- Warner Bros. published a new clip of the show, which shows Fudd using a scythe to catch Bugs Bunny. A scythe is a tool that cuts crops like grass and wheat. It includes a large curved blade at the end of a short handle.
Why isn’t there a gun?
Per The Telegraph, the show decided to eliminate the weapon due to widespread gun violence in the U.S. and the world. “That is not to say that he has given up hunting Bugs Bunny, though — he just uses a scythe instead,” according to The Telegraph.
But don’t worry, things will get adult
- Porky sucking snake venom out of Daffy’s leg
- A ghost of Tweety haunting Sylvester
- Satan making a cameo.
Browngardt said some of the episodes will offer some edge.
- “Some of them have maybe gone a little too far, so they might come out in a different format. Maybe they’ll come out packaged for an Adult Swim type of thing.”