- The Miami Heat will add these trained dogs at the entrance of the American Airlines Arena. They will be asked to sniff for coronavirus, which causes the COVID-19 disease.
How it works
- Humans will walk up to the arena.
- Dogs will sniff them before they enter.
- If the dog sits down, then it suggests they detected COVID-19. The fan will then be asked to leave with their group. They will receive a full refund.
Wait, dogs can sniff coronavirus?
Apparently so. CBS News reports that this has been in the works for months. And it has been used at airports in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and Helsinki, Finland, in recent months.
“Dogs have a superior sense of smell, which is why they’re often used by law enforcement to find everything from drugs to bombs to missing people,” according to CBS News. “Medical researchers have long reaped the benefit of canine sniffing, training some dogs to detect when a human is dealing with things like too much stress, too little blood sugar and even certain cancers.”
- “Dogs are amazing creatures and their noses are way more powerful than ours,” said Matthew Jafarian, the executive vice president of business strategy for the Miami Heat, according to ABC 7.