Federal officials have urged Americans to keep wearing masks and do what they need to in order to make them fit tighter — and that might include double-masking.
What’s going on?
- The CDC recommends Americans pick masks with a nose wire so they can be adjusted to fit tightly. People should use mask fitters or a brace to seal off their masks, too.
Two key things
- The CDC said you shouldn’t combine two disposable masks if you’re going to double up. Neither are designed to fit tightly so it wouldn’t help, according to the CDC.
- People also should not combine a KN95 mask with any other masks. Only one should be used at a time.
What do experts say?
- “With cases, hospitalizations and deaths still very high, now is not the time to roll back mask requirements,” she said. “The bottom line is this: Masks work, and they work when they have a good fit and are worn correctly.”
- “The recommendation is not that you have to wear it. What the CDC is saying is at minimum, wear a mask.”
- “One mask at least, but if you want to really be sure, get a tighter fit with the second mask.”
- “I have used it occasionally. The fit is better if you put a surgical mask on and put a cloth mask over.”