What is Havana Syndrome?
Per The New York Times, the phrase “anomalous health incident” is how the Biden administration refers to the Havana syndrome, a mysterious illness that has made hundreds of U.S. officials sick over the last few years.
- Havana syndrome often causes headaches, dizziness and memory loss for no reason, as I wrote for the Deseret News.
- But, according to The New York Times, this often happens to “scores of State Department officials, C.I.A. officers and their families.”
- It recently happened to two White House officials, has impacted “more than 100 U.S. diplomats, spies and troops around the globe,” per CNN.
Did Kamala Harris get Havana syndrome?
Harris delayed her trip after some reports of Havana syndrome, but she appears to be fine.
- “Earlier this evening, the Vice President’s traveling delegation was delayed from departing Singapore because the Vice President’s office was made aware of a report of a recent possible anomalous health incident in Hanoi, Vietnam. After careful assessment, the decision was made to continue with the Vice President’s trip,” said Rachael Chen, spokeswoman for the U.S. embassy in Hanoi, Vietnam, in a statement sent to CNN.
- Harris was “well, all is fine and looking forward to meetings in Hanoi tomorrow,” Harris’ chief spokeswoman, Symone Sanders, said, according to CNN. “This has nothing to do with the vice president’s health.”
What causes Havana syndrome?
As I wrote for the Deseret News, the syndrome seems to happen out of nowhere, but it has been linked to being an energy attack.
- Pentagon officials have previously pointed the finger at Russia’s military, according to The New York Times.
The Defense Department told Politico that “they are increasingly concerned about the vulnerability of U.S. troops in places such as Syria, Afghanistan and various countries in South America.”
- Cases of Havana syndrome have popped up among personnel from China, Cuba, Europe and other countries around Asia, as I previously wrote for the Deseret News. The Cuban incidents led to the illness being called Havana syndrome.