Southern Utah University police officers are working with the FBI to determine if an active school shooter threat on Thursday was legitimate or if the school was the victim of a swatting hoax.

“We’re taking it seriously until we find out through our investigation that it was a hoax,” said SUU Police Chief Carlos Medina.

As of midday, no evidence had been found that any shots were fired or people injured.

The university was placed on lockdown Thursday morning after the school received a “suspicious phone call” claiming an active shooter was on the Cedar City campus. The school issued an alert to its campus at 9:15 a.m.

“We received reports of hearing noises that sounded like shots fired at the Science Building at Southern Utah University. All SUU Facilities are on lockdown. If you are on campus, follow lockdown procedures, by going into the nearest room and locking the door. If you are not on campus stay away. Police are on the scene and investigating. We will continue to update as we receive new information,” the university posted online.

Just after 10:20 a.m., the university announced the Science Building had been cleared.

“There has been confirmation that NO SHOTS were fired. ALL buildings still remain on lockdown. If you are on campus, follow lockdown procedures, by going into the nearest room and locking the door,” the university stated.

Initially, the school received information of a possible suspect description of “a white male with black hat, black shades, green T-shirt, long hair, blue jeans, 20-25 years old.”

As of midday Thursday, Medina said it was still an “active investigation” as officers continued to “clear” the campus’ approximately 20 buildings plus housing.

“We’re covering all aspects of what we need to do,” the chief said.

The university was part of a statewide swatting hoax in 2023. But Medina says he is waiting for the other buildings to be checked before determining if Thursday’s incident is also a hoax.

The university says that all classes and activities for Thursday have been canceled and the campus is closed for the rest of the day. Classes and activities are scheduled to resume Friday.

Additionally on Thursday, the Iron County School District announced Cedar High School, Canyon View Middle School, Three Peaks Elementary and preschool, Iron Springs Elementary, Fiddlers Elementary, Enoch Elementary and East Elementary School implemented “secure action” protocol due to “a police incident in the area.”

“As a precaution, all doors are locked and no one can leave or enter the building. Classes will continue uninterrupted inside the building. Students may not be able to leave the school building for classes off campus,” the district stated.

By 11:15 a.m., the action at all schools in the Iron County district had been lifted.

“Everything back to normal, it was a precautionary measure. There were never threats made to Iron County District schools,” the district said.

This story will be updated.