What is the new Splash Mountain about?
- The new ride begins with Naveen and Louis joining Tiana on an adventure.
- Original music inspired by “The Princess and the Frog” will play throughout the ride.
- Tiana will guide guests through the ride, as they encounter new friends along the way.
Images and video of new Splash Mountain
Disney Parks shared some new images and concept art that inspired the new ride.
And there’s a new video that reveals more details about what to expect:
Why is Splash Mountain changing?
Back in June 2020, Disney said Splash Mountain — which was based on the 1946 Disney film “Song of the South,” a film that had some racist undertones — would be reworked and re-themed to match the vibe of “The Princess and the Frog,” as I wrote about for the Deseret News.
- The changes came after Disney fans noted concerns about “Song of the South,” an old Disney film that takes place in the southern United States during the Reconstruction era. As I explained for the Deseret News, the film centers around a boy and his Uncle Remus, who works on a plantation.
- Critics have long said “Song of the South” represents an offensive portrayal of African Americans because of the stereotypes.
It wasn’t long after social media drummed up a conversation about the ride that Disney decided to rework the project. Soon after, Disney announced in January 2021 that it planned to update the legendary Jungle Cruise ride, which has offensive depictions of cultures, too.