RICHFIELD — Duchesne High School’s wrestling team clinched the 2A state title Saturday evening in Richfield.
The key to the victory was simple, according to head coach Ken Lym — qualifying the whole team.
“It took every one of our kids to do it,” Lym said. The Duchesne Eagles scored 244.5 points in the win, ahead of second place Altamont with 220.
Duchesne had two individual champions, so it was important for the team to pick up as many points as possible through the lower brackets of the tournament, according to Lym. This is Duchesne’s first state championship since 2016.
“I’m super proud of these guys,” said Lym, who is in his seventh year of coaching wrestling for the Eagles. “I talked to them earlier and told them that if they lost a match, they couldn’t give up.”
It worked as Duchesne picked up two fifth-place finishes, four fourth-place spots and two third places.
“I knew this team was special,” Lym said. “The attitude and the ethic made the difference. They worked hard and they deserve this.”
Lym, who was named the outstanding 2A wrestling coach during the awards ceremony, expressed appreciation for his coaching staff and the parents for supporting the program. He loses nine seniors this year.
“They were a big class for us,” Lym said. He said the Eagles still have a good crop of juniors and sophomores, which should allow them to be competitive again next year.
Duchesne’s Ethan Clayburn (120) outlasted Enterprise’s Caleb Leavitt in a major decision to capture the first 2A individual championship of the night for the Eagles.
“I’ve been working for this for a while,” Clayburn said. “It feels good to finally get here.”
Clayburn said the entire team worked as hard as it could through the year to make the championship happen.
Ryker Blackburn (182) also took home individual gold from this year’s tournament, marking his second time on top of the podium.
“We wake up at 4 a.m., do chores and get to practice at 5 a.m.,” Blackburn said. “We put our all into it each day.”
Blackburn said part of what pushed him was former Duchesne wrestler Max Lewis, who sparred with him — pushing him to improve.
“I’ve wrestled for 15 years, and these last two it’s really paid off,” Blackburn said. He said his coaches and parents have also been a huge support as he has pursued wrestling.
Blackburn was named as one of two outstanding 2A wrestlers of the tournament.
Millard’s Hector Martinez (113) was named as the other outstanding wrestler of the tournament.
Martinez helped lead Millard to a late surge, picking up a championship bout win against Duchesne’s Bowdy Larsen in a decision match.
Millard also saw championships from Mack Bray (126) and John Whittaker (160) on its way to fourth place in the tournament.
Altamont remained consistent through the final day of the championship, picking up four individual gold medals on its way to 220 team points.
Riggin Boger (138) set the stage early for Altamont, taking a decision win over North Summit’s Ryker Pentz.
Altamont’s Dean Thompson (152) pinned North Sevier’s Dahlance Smith.
Cash Robb (195) won by fall over Kanab’s Michael Warino to add to Altamont’s tally. MacIntynre Thacker (220) was the final Altamont Longhorn to snag a championship as he flipped Beaver’s Dylan Bartlett onto his back in the second period of their climatic match.
Third-place Beaver made plenty of noise at the tournament this year as well, finishing with 208 points as a team. Leading the way for the Beavers were three individual champs, including Hagen Mayer (106), who pinned Gatlen Farnsworth in the finals.
Beaver’s Brian Evans (132) also nabbed first by beating Duchesne’s Jaxon Morlan by fall. Brock Edwards (145) also scored big for Beaver by outlasting Altamont’s Carson Sheets in their final bout of the night.
1. Duchesne, 244.5; 2. Altamont, 220; 3. Beaver, 208; 4. Millard, 205; 5. North Summit, 194; 6. Enterprise, 180; 7. Kanab, 82; 8. Gunnison Valley, 80.5.
- 106 — Championship: Hagen Mayer, Beaver def. Gatlen Farnsworth, Altamont, fall 1:27. 3. Tristan Smith, North Summit; 4. JB Skewes, Duchesne; 5. Kraden Skewes, Duchesne; 6. Camden Moat, Millard.
- 113 — Championship: Hector Martinez, Millard def. Bowdey Larsen, Duchesne, 2-1. 3. Douglas Evans, Beaver; 4. Ethan Crittenden, North Summit; 5. Mark Roman, Millard; 6. Parker Bollinger, Enterprise.
- 120 — Championship: Ethan Clayburn, Duchesne def. Caleb Leavitt, Enterprise, 10-2. 3. Luke Browning, Kanab; 4. Bronson Richins, North Summit; 5. Morgan Wade, Millard; 6. Garrett Jensen, Gunnison Valley.
- 126 — Championship: Mack Bray, Millard def. Jace Seely, Kanab, fall 5:20. 3. Cael Skewes, Duchesne; 4. Brevin Olson, Monticello; 5. Tezlin Winn, Gunnison Valley; 6. Bowden Brown, Beaver.
- 132 — Championship: Brian Evans, Beaver def. Jaxon Morlan, Duchesne, 6-4. 3. Braxton Messersmith, Enterprise; 4. Dusty Clayburn, Duchesne; 5. Dylan Rees, Millard; 6. Carson Reynolds, Beaver.
- 138 — Championship: Riggin Boger, Altamont def. Ryker Pentz, North Summit, 10-4. 3. Kaleb Sanchez, Duchesne; 4. James Hall, Enterprise; 5. Kasen Huff, Altamont; 6. Tucker Blackburn, Duchesne.
- 145 — Championship: Brock Edwards, Beaver def. Carson Sheets, Altamont, 8-2. 3. Josh Whitaker, Millard; 4. Zach Cecil, Monticello; 5. Colin Skeves, Duchesne; 6. Deklyn Strong, Enterprise.
- 152 — Championship: Dean Thompson, Altamont def. Dahlance Smith, North Sevier, fall 2:28. 3. Easton Richins, Altamont; 4. Connor Lisonbee, Duchesne; 5. KC Whitaker, Millard; 6. Michael Gren, North Summit.
- 160 — Championship: John Whitaker, Millard def. Cort Radden, Beaver, fall 5:18; 3. Heston Murdock, Altamont; 4. Jaxon Verduzco, Duchesne; 5. Riley Marsh, North Summit; 6. Clark Ray, Kanab.
- 170 — Championship: Tyler Scheurn, North Summit def. Jed DeGraffenried, Millard. 3. McCoy Beal, Altamont; 4. Robby Clark, Enterprise; 5. Bryton Langston, Beaver; 6. John Gates, Millard.
- 182 — Championship: Ryker Blackburn, Duchesne def. Danny Garcia, Millard, fall 3:55. 3. Talon Belnap, Gunnison Valley; 4. Dixon Bagley, Enterprise; 5. Matagi Faavale, North Summit; 6. Colt Ekker, North Sevier.
- 195 — Championship: Cash Robb, Altamont def. Michael Warino, Kanab, fall 5:32. 3. Grant Reynolds, Duchesne; 4. Chase Adams, Enterprise; 5. Brett Rees, North Summit; 6. Tuff Adair, Monticello.
- 220 — Championship: MacIntynre Thacker, Altamont def. Dylan Bartlett, Beaver, fall 3:24. 3. Aureliano Garcia, Beaver; 4. Davis Bracken, Enterprise; 5. Dillon Slack, Monticello; 6. Hunter Bushar, Enterprise.
- 285 — Championship: Chase Dawson, North Summit def. Kyler Boren, Beaver, 4-2. 3. Faeamani Vaitaki, Layton Christian; 4. Colten Burch, Enterprise; 5. Carson Petersen, Gunnison Valley; 6. Jose Guerrero, Duchesne.