What happened with Andrew Yang?
- Yang, who created buzz around his campaign for championing universal basic income, suspended his bid after garnering heavy support on social media.
- Yang: “I am so proud of this campaign. Thank you to everyone who got us here.”
I am so proud of this campaign. Thank you to everyone who got us here.— Andrew Yang (@AndrewYang) February 12, 2020
- Yang told The Daily Beast: “I’m not someone who wants to take people’s donations, support, time and dedication if I don’t think we have a chance to win or advance our goals in the right direction.”
- Yang told The Atlantic: “I certainly feel like I’m disappointing a lot of people. It’s very, very hard, because a lot of people have invested their hopes and dreams (in) the future of this campaign, and it feels very difficult to put down the sword and shield.”
What happened with Michael Bennet?
- Bennet suspended his campaign after seeing low results in New Hampshire, too.
- Bennet: “To all of my supporters in New Hampshire and across the country, thank you. I’m speaking from Concord.”
To all of my supporters in New Hampshire and across the country, thank you. I’m speaking from Concord: https://t.co/D7c43hvhxz— Michael Bennet (@MichaelBennet) February 12, 2020
- Bennet announced his decision at the New Hampshire primary-night party, according to The Washington Post.
- Bennet: “It’s fitting for us to end the campaign tonight. I love you, New Hampshire. Whether you knew it or not, we were having a great time together.”
- The Washington Post said: “(Bennet) reiterated that his party would be best served by a nominee with broad appeal and a popular agenda, focusing on expanding access to education and fighting climate change.”
Former Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick
- The Massachusetts governor announced his decision Wednesday morning, according to CNN.
- Patrick: “I believed and still believe we had a strong case to make for being able to deliver better outcomes. But the vote in New Hampshire last night was not enough for us to create the practical wind at the campaign’s back to go on to the next round of voting. So I have decided to suspend the campaign, effective immediately.”