What’s going on?
STAN the T. rex — a real-world skeleton of the dinosaur that walked on Earth about 67 million years ago — can be bought for somewhere between $6 million and $8 million at an upcoming auction in New York, CNN reports.
- STAN has been living at the Black Hills Institute in South Dakota.
- The fossils have been used by researchers to write papers and studies on the dinosaur species, too.
“I’ll never forget the moment I came face to face with him for the first time. He looked even larger and more ferocious than I’d imagined.” — James Hyslop, head of the auction house’s scientific instruments, globes and natural history department, said to The New York Times.
By the numbers:
- 13: The heigh of the dinosaur
- 40: The length of the dinosaur.
- 188: The amount of bones.
- 1987: The year researchers found the dinosaur in Hell Creek Formation, which is around Montana, North and South Dakota and Wyoming.
- 30,000: The hours of manual labor to restore the skeleton.