On Tuesday, Chad Daybell was arrested after authorities said they recovered human remains at his home in rural Idaho, according to the Deseret News.
His wife, Lori Vallow, is the mother of two missing Idaho children, is facing felony charges of desertion and nonsupport.
In April, the Idaho Attorney’s General office took over an investigation into conspiracy, attempted murder and/or murder for the couple.
The case has been linked to suspicious deaths and allegations of cultlike religious beliefs, per the The Associated Press.
Here’s what we know.
The Latest Lori Vallow news and updates:
What’s the story?
- Joshua “JJ” Vallow, 7, and Tylee Ryan, 17, have been missing since September. Vallow and her new husband, Chad Daybell, had been living in Hawaii without the missing children, USA Today reports.
- Vallow had been in Hawaii since early December. She married Daybell just weeks before. That wedding happened two weeks after Daybell’s wife — who he had been married to for 30 years — “died under circumstances police say may be suspicious,” according to USA Today.
- An Idaho court asked Vallow to bring the children to authorities in Rexburg, Idaho. According to East Idaho News, “Lori Daybell already showed a willingness to ignore the court order given to her in January to produce the kids.”
- Vallow was arrested on Feb. 20 in Kauai, Hawaii. Her bail was set at $5 million, according to the The Associated Press.
- Authorities learned of the situation after Joshua Vallow’s biological grandmother reported she had not heard from the boy. Police in Idaho visited to check on him. Vallow and Daybell reportedly lied about his whereabouts, according to USA Today. The couple was no longer there when police returned the next day.
3 deaths under investigation
- Daybell’s wife Tammy, 49, died in October. Her obituary said it was from “natural causes.” “Police would later question that and have her body exhumed from a cemetery in Springville, Utah, for an autopsy, whose results have not been released yet,” according to The Associated Press.
- In April, Vallow’s brother Alex Cox fatally shot Charles Vallow — the ex-husband of Lori Vallow — in what has been described as self-defense during a confrontation in Arizona. Lori Vallow and her children were living there at the time. Police said the death was being investigated before Cox’s death in December. He was found unresponsive in Arizona.
Leaked emails of ‘seven missions’
- Earlier this week, a set of emails revealed what Chad Daybell sent to Lori Vallow about the “seven missions to accomplish together.”
- According to Fox 10, those ideas included “translating ancient records, writing a book about it, identifying locations in Arizona for ‘white camps,’ the presidency of the Church of Firstborn, establish food distribution as the tribulations start, ordain individuals to translation and provide supplies to righteous members of families.”
Tammy Daybell’s funeral
- Tammy Daybell’s funeral was held shortly after her death. Those in attendance said the funeral arrangements were made with remarkable speed, according to East Idaho News. One man said: “It was really weird because the casket wasn’t even there. It all came together so quick and felt rushed. There weren’t a lot of people at the service.”
- Chad Daybell reportedly received $430,000 in life insurance after Tammy Daybell died. Chad Daybell reportedly made “significant” increases to at least one policy before she died, the East Idaho News reported.
- Chad Daybell and Tammy Daybell reportedly have five children together.
Chad Daybell’s essay
- Chad Daybell wrote an essay titled “Moving into the Second Half of My Life” 12 days after his wife died, according to East Idaho News.
“My dear wife Tammy passed away in her sleep early Saturday, October 19. When I awoke at around 6 a.m., it was clear she had been gone for several hours.
“It came as a shock. I couldn’t believe I hadn’t been awakened somehow, but all indications are that her spirit simply slipped away during the night. Her face looked serene, with her eyes closed and a slight smile. It was devastating to discover her that way, but I’m so grateful that her death was peaceful.”
“I’m in the process of implementing what she has told me to do. She has indicated that my life has two parts that were planned even before I came to earth.”