What’s going on:
- Louis Vuitton has a plastic face shield listed on its website for $961.
- It will go on sale beginning Oct. 30 at select stores.
- The shield is a part of the 2021 Cruise Collection.
- Louis Vuitton called the mask “an eye-catching headpiece, both stylish and protective.”
- The face shield comes with a hat attached to it, which can be flipped upwards in a visor of sorts. And yes, it’s full of the “LV” print everywhere.
- The face covering has a transition feature that will become darker when it’s sunny outside, too.
But are face shields safe?
A recent study published in the journal Physics of Fluids found that face shields may not be the best protection against the novel coronavirus. Small droplets can move through the sides and bottom of the visor, exposing the person who wears it, according to LiveScience.
- The study’s findings “indicate that face shields and masks with exhale valves may not be as effective as regular face masks in restricting the spread of aerosolized droplets,” the authors wrote.