clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

The reason why Brian Laundrie flew through the Salt Lake City airport

Brian Laundrie flew through Salt Lake City airport during the days after the Moab incident with Gabby Petito

Moab Police Department shows Brian Laundrie talking to a police officer.
This still from police camera video provided by the Moab Police Department shows Brian Laundrie talking to a police officer after police pulled over the van he was traveling in with his girlfriend, Gabrielle “Gabby” Petito, near the entrance to Arches National Park on Aug. 12, 2021.
Moab Police Department via Associated Press

The lawyer for the Laundrie family recently revealed why Brian Laundrie flew through the airport in Salt Lake City during his road trip with Gabby Petito.

Steven P. Bertolino, the Long Island, N.Y., attorney for the Laundrie family, explained what happened in a statement to FOX 5 News in New York on Tuesday.

“Brian flew home to Tampa from SLC on 08/17 and returned to SLC on 08/23 to rejoin Gabby. To my knowledge, Brian and Gabby paid for the flights as they were sharing expenses,” the statement said. “Brian flew home to obtain some items and empty and close the storage unit to save money as they contemplated extending the road trip.”

Petito and Laundrie went on a cross-country road trip beginning in July. The two visited a number of locations across the West, including Idaho, Wyoming and Utah. The couple had an argument on Aug. 12 in Moab, Utah, that was brought to the attention of the Moab police.

Police officials stopped Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie outside of Arches National Park to speak with them about what happened during the fight. Per the Deseret News, Moab police said Petito had slapped Laundrie. No charges were pursued. Laundrie was taken to a nearby hotel. Petito drove off with the van.

Interestingly, Cassie Laundrie, Brian Laundrie’s sister, said in an interview shared with NewsNation that her brother had returned home on Aug. 17 — five days after the fight with Petito — before going back to Utah to be with Petito. This is now confirmed by Laundrie’s lawyer.

On Sept. 1, Laundrie returned to Florida driving Petito’s van. But Petito was not with him. Ten days later, Petito’s family reported her missing.

It wasn’t until Sept. 19 that officials found Petito’s body on the outskirts of a Wyoming national park. Two days later she was confirmed to have died by homicide.

Laundrie remains missing. He reportedly left his home on Monday, Sept. 13 — there were previous reports from his family that he had left on Sept. 14, but that was changed — and has not been seen since. Authorities are still looking for him.